Press release by FAN MALAYSIA on 15 October 2008 at Kuala Lumpur
In conjunction with the 60th anniversary of the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the World Human Rights Day falls on Dec 9, FAN Malaysia (Friedrich Naumann Foundation Alumni Network-Malaysia) is celebrating the day with an upcoming exhibition and a photography contest with the theme of ‘freedom’.
FAN Malaysia recognises the importance for the society irrespective of age, background and race to come together to observe the World Human Rights Day together.
Interested participants can submit their photos between Oct 15 and Nov 15, 2008. Photos received by the organiser will be displayed at the exhibition to be sold.
The exhibition will take place between Dec 1 and 7, 2008 at the Galeri Pelita Hati, No 22 Jalan Abdullah, off Jalan Bangsar, 59000 Kuala Lumpur.
FAN Malaysia also hopes that the contest and the exhibition will help to raise public awareness on the meaning of freedom in a broader context.
Apart from the exhibition, the organiser has also prepared a few other programmes including the reading of freedom poets, performance from independent artists Meor and Black, presentation from Wong Hoy Cheong and installation of arts.
The exhibition will be officially closed by the Deputy Information Minister, YB Tan Lian Hoe at the Galeri Pelita Hati, No 22 Jalan Abdullah, off Jalan Bangsar, 59000 Kuala Lumpur on Dec7, 2008, where the winners for the contest will also be announced at the same event. There will also be performances from local independent artistes.
Rules & Regulations
1. Entries are open to all Malaysian citizens except judges and immediate family members of the organizer, FAN MALAYSIA.
2. Prizes are 13 x Winning Prize: Certificate, Trophy & RM 500 Cash
3. There is no limit to the number of entries. However, a participant can only win one (1) prize.
4. The theme is Works of Freedom. Photographs must capture and express aspects of this.
5. Photographs will be judged on interpretation of Freedom, creativity, content, composition and title.
6. No digital super imposition is allowed. Composite photographs, trick photographs, or / and any form of digital imaging or image manipulation will not be accepted.
7. Images can be captured in any format, analog or digital, in colour or monochrome (black & white). However, mobile phone and PDA images will not be accepted.
8. Analog and digital entries must be submitted in 16R print size on any photographic paper. These are non-returnable. Thus, the camera used in this competition must be at least able to support 6 Mega Pixels.
9. All entries must submit the in (sizes) and CD-ROM (jpeg format only – minimum 1.5MB file). Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
10. Photographs must not have been previously published in any form.
11. The participants must be the original photographers. Where applicable, participants must hold a model release form for models featured in their images.
12. Should the participants fail to fulfill rule 10, they shall indemnify FAN MALAYSIA, the organizers for damages incurred, if any.
13. Copyright and reproduction : the organiser reserves the absolute right to exhibit or reproduce any entry in whatever way deemed fit for exhibition and for any print based publicity and promotional purposes without prior notice, consent or payment of fee whatsoever to the participants.
14. Every photograph MUST be accompanied by :
a. An original title
b. A concise rationale in English or Bahasa Malaysia clarifying the photographer’s interpretation of Freedom, venue, date and illustration taken.
15. FAN MALAYSIA, the organiser, will not be responsible for damaged, misdirected or lost entries. Proof of postage is not proof of receipt.
16. The jury’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entertained.
17. All entries must reach the given address on or before Friday, 15 November 2008. Entries received after this date will not qualify.
18. Send entries to:
Lot 6.02, Level 6
No.6 & 8, Cheras
Jalan Pudu Ulu
56100 Kuala Lumpur
19. Winners will be notified by e-mail or phone and announced via the website on 7 December 2008.
20. All exhibited photographs can be sold to interested parties with certain commission to the gallery and organizer.
21. By participating in this, participants agree to be bound by these rules and regulations as well as the decisions made by FAN MALAYSIA and the panel of judges. The organizers have the right to substitute the prizes with equivalent value.
For fuher information, please contact Faisal Mustaffa 019-2232002 or Yeen Seen 013-3332626 oremailto firstname.lastname@example.org Official website: http://www.fnfmalaysia.org